Maurice Washington commit: What does it mean for Nebraska?
Nebraska continued to close its 2018 signing class out in strong fashion on Wednesday as Maurice Washington announced he was headed to Lincoln for college.
The 6-foot, 190-pound running back out of Cedar Hill, Texas picked the NU over Arizona State. He becomes NU's 23rd known commitment in its 2018 recruiting class.
Here are some quick takes on what Washington's commit means for Nebraska.
1. The Nebraska coaching staff had their eyes on Washington since shortly after they were hired. Things really started to get serious around the New Year. From that point in time NU was not only able to impress the talented running back, but also everyone else else connected with him from his mother to his coaches. Like they have with most of the recruits down the stretch, the Huskers played things almost without flaw to end up securing his signature today.
2. Washington is a special athlete. He's gifted enough to play running back or even defensive back at a high level. The Huskers see him as a great fit in the offensive backfield and it's easy to see why given his big play ability.
3. The Huskers are getting a very complete back in Washington. He's got the ability to run between the tackles, the speed to get to the edge on outside runs and also has great hands as a receiver out of the backfield. He should prove to be a very versatile weapon in Frost's offense.
4. Washington shows the ability to start and stop on a dime and has great change of direction as a ball carrier. He's also an elusive runner that seems to make it very hard for defenders to tackle him one-on-one.
5. He runs with great vision and has tremendous balance. His overall body control separates him from most other running backs in the country.
6. His ability to play at a high level was never more prevalent than during the Under Armour All-American game. He set a record for the most touchdowns scored in the game with three. He also almost returned a kickoff for a touchdown. That entire week leading up to the game he was regarded as one of the best overall talents among some of the best players in the nation.
7. Washington has overcome a lot of adversity in his life. He is a kid that is very motivated and hungry for success. He's had some academic struggles, but his commitment to success on and off of the field should allow him to do special things during his time in Lincoln.
Washington's senior season stats: Rushing: 123 carries for 1,253 yards (10.2 ypc) and 15 touchdowns; Receiving: 26 catches for 582 yards and nine touchdowns; Defense: 22 tackles, 5.5 TFL, 1.5 sacks, and one interception; Special Teams: Five kickoff returns for 207 yards and one touchdown. Washington helped lead Trinity Christian to a 12-1 en route to a state championship. They outscored their opponents by an average of nearly 30 points per game.
8. 2018 Nebraska commit breakdown
2/7/2018 - Maurice Washington - RB - 6-foot, 190 - Cedar Hill, TX - 3 Stars
2/7/2018 - Willie Canty - OT - 6-foot-6, 299 - Belle Glade, Fla. - 3 Stars
2/7/2018 - Cameron Taylor - ATH - 6-foot-1, 203 - Montgomery, Ala - 3 Stars
2/7/2018 - Caleb Tannor - OLB - 6-foot-3, 235 - Lithonia, GA - 4 Stars
1/27/2018 - Cam Jones - DB - 6-foot-2, 187 - Mansfield, TX - 4 Stars
1/21/2018 - Braxton Clark - CB - 6-foot-3, 188 - Orlando, FL - 3 Stars
1/18/2018 - Dominick Watt - WR - 6-foot-1, 200 - Hollywood, FL - 4 Stars
1/18/2018 - Miles Jones - ATH - 5-foot-9, 166 - Plantation, FL - 4 Stars
1/16/2018 - Casey Rogers - DE - 6-foot-5, 240 - Avon Old Farms (NY) - 3 Stars
1/10/2018 - Mike Williams - WR - 5-foot-10, 175 - East Mississippi C.C. (FL) - 3 Stars
12/21/2017 - Will Honas - LB - 6-foot-2, 225 - Butler County C.C. (KS) - 3 Stars
12/20/2017 - Greg Bell - RB - 6-foot, 200 - Arizona Western C.C. (CA) - 4 Stars
12/20/2017 - Katerian LeGrone - WR - 6-foot-3, 220 - Atlanta, GA - 3 Stars
12/17/2017 - Deontai Williams - DB - 6-foot, 180 - Jones County C.C. (FL) - 3 Stars
12/12/2017 - Adrian Martinez- QB - 6-foot-3, 198 - Fresno, CA - 4 Stars
12/11/2017 - Justin McGriff- WR - 6-foot-6, 210 - Tampa, FL - 3 Stars
12/10/2017 - Jaron Woodyard- ATH - 5-foot-11, 175 - Arizona Western (MD) - 3 Stars
12/10/2017 - C.J. Smith- DB - 6-foot-3, 190 - West Palm Beach, FL - 4 Stars
10/6/2017 - David Alston- OLB - 6-foot-5, 215 - Woodbury, MN - 3 Stars
5/2/2017 - Barret Pickering- K - 6-foot, 185 - Hoover, AL - 3 Stars
4/16/2017 - Tate Wildeman- DE - 6-foot-6, 245 - Parker, CO - 4 Stars
4/8/2017 - Will Farniok- OL - 6-3, 260 - Sioux Falls, SD - 3 Stars
8/7/15 - Cameron Jurgens- TE - 6-3, 235 - Beatrice, NE - 4 Stars
9. Commits by position
1 - Quarterback
2 - Running back/fullback
4 - Wide receiver
1 - Tight end
2 - Offensive linemen
2 - Defensive end
2 - Outside linebacker
1 - Inside linebacker
3 - Safety
2 - Cornerback
2 - Athlete
1 - Special teams
10. Where are they from?
8 - Florida
2 - Alabama
2 - California
2 - Georgia
2 - Texas
1 - Colorado
1 - Kansas
1 - Maryland
1 - Minnesota
1 - Nebraska
1 - New York
1 - South Dakota