January 5, 2008

Offense-Defense: Game Rewind

MIAMI, Fla. - Rivals.com looks at the top five news items from the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl in Fort Lauderdale in the Daily Rewind. Each day Rivals.com will breakdown the biggest news, player injuries and updated recruiting news in a compact and easy to digest format.

1. Okine blows up

The East defensive line dominated the game on Friday night in Miami. The East posted seven sacks in the game, but it was Earl Okine who did most of the damage recording 3.5 sacks to go along with an additional three tackles for loss. The big night proved fruitful as Okine walked away with defensive player of the game honors.

2. Injuries strike

At least two players couldn't play or finish on Friday night at the Orange Bowl. One was West guard Kermit Tyler who looked to be overheating on the sideline in pregame warmups. Rivals later found out it was due to food poisoning earlier in the day. Meanwhile, the East suffered a hit along the line as well in Felton Banks who was hobbled in the first half and was forced on crutches for the remainder of the game.

3. Punting often, scoring limited in first half

Both teams struggled to score on Friday night especially in the first half as the game headed to the break 3-0. The first half was marred by at least eight penalties and three turnovers. Both teams struggled to move the ball past midfield. The half did give each team's kicker a chance to work their legs with booming punts back and forth courtesy of Robert Yanks and Quinn Sharp.

4. Attendance

The attendance was limited at the Offense-Defense All-American Bowl in Miami with approximately 200 visitors on-hand. Most making their way to the Orange Bowl were family and friends of players on the teams.

5. Fireworks

To celebrate the final game at the Orange Bowl, Miami and the Offense-Defense Bowl put together a fireworks display. It went off without a hitch, the only problem was that it was fired up a bit early, starting with two minutes left in the game as the West came out to prepare for their final possession. The display interrupted the game for five to 10 minutes as players and coaches looked on. After it was all over, smoke covered the stadium as the West hit the field once again.

...More... To continue reading this article you must be a member. Sign Up Now!