Latest Team Rankings
Free Text Alerts
|ShopMobileRadio RSSRivals.com Yahoo! Sports|
|College Teams||High Schools|
October 7, 2006IOWA CITY - Cliff Avril's a part-time defensive end, no more.
The junior linebacker, who's been playing both positions the past couple games, started at D-end at Iowa, his second straight start at the position.
Linebackers coach Mark Hagen said that Avril didn't play a single snap at linebacker against Iowa, though Avril did seem to play as a stand-up end on the edge a few times.
Avril's on the field for his pass-rushing ability, but he's struggled against the run the past two weeks.
"That's pretty typical, too," Coach Joe Tiller said. "You've got to give up something to get more speed on the field. We're trying to move toward Cliff becoming a full-time defensive end. Today was the first day at it.
"He's no different than any other end we've ever had at Purdue, in that when you're undersized at defensive end, you have some problems holding up."
Avril admitted he struggled slightly against the run, as Iowa rushed for more than 280 yards, but said he thinks he'll improve as he refines his technique.
Tiller added that he didn't blame the defensive ends for Purdue's struggles up front.
"I didn't feel like we were getting anything from the inside-out," said Tiller, offering an indictment of his tackles.
As for Avril, he offered no protests to the seemingly inevitable switch.
"They said I could play both," Avril said, "but they need a little more help (at defensive end)."
Avril had two tackles against Iowa.
• The 30-point margin of defeat was Purdue's largest since it lost 35-0 at Notre Dame in 1996.
• Senior linebacker Al Royal saw his first extended action of the season, making three tackles in the second half.
• Redshirt freshman Dray Mason got his first college carry on the final snap of the game, gaining four yards.
• Junior Dario Camacho rushed for 35 yards on six second-half carries.
• Andre Chattams' two catches were his first two of the season.
Copyright, Boilers, Inc. 2006. All Rights Reserved. Reproducing or using editorial or graphical content, in whole or in part, without permission, is strictly prohibited. E-mail GoldandBlack.com/Boilers, Inc.